Central Region is Looking for a Self-Advocacy Field Assistant
The SANYS office in Central New York is looking for a strong self advocate to fill our Field Assistant position in the Syracuse office. If you are interested, please contact Dan Flanigan at 315-882-6781 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Job description is below: Responsibilities:
- Be able to commit to 10 hours per week (flexible schedule)
- Support Self-Advocacy groups and leaders within the Central Region, with the assistance of the Regional Coordinator and Organizer
- Prepare and deliver presentations to self-advocates, agency staff, and the general community, on topics of importance to self-advocates.
- Assist the Regional Coordinator with the following duties: scheduling, collecting and preparing timesheets, preparation of activity forms for Coordinator’s report, attending meetings, answering the phone and responding to voice messages and e-mails, reviewing news and journal articles, planning and supporting regional and state-wide events, general outreach.
- Maintain a basic understanding of SANYS projects and priorities, both state-wide and regional
- Have an understanding of the mission and structure of the Self-Advocacy Association of NYS
- Support and supervise Information Station volunteers as needed
- Have a basic understanding of computers, document development, and presentation materials
- Ability to travel within the region
- Maintain confidentiality regarding self-advocates, office files, incidents, and all personnel matters within the organization
- Accept direction from the Coordinator, Organizer, Board Members, and statewide advisors if applicable
- Be respectful of all colleagues, Board Members, self-advocates, volunteers, and others that you interact with while representing SANYS
- Attend conferences and regional meetings as needed
- Pass all background checks required by OPWDD and other pertinent entities